Two days ago I added a trio of erectus seahorse to my 40 gallon. However it seems as if I spiked a mini cycle because my nitrite went up to 0.25-0.5. My nitrate seems like 20-40 more towards 40. However, my ammonia remains at zero. I added prime to protect my seahorses, and I also have a diamond goby and fire shrimp in there. They seem to be running around with no problem. They are very active during feeding, and eat a lot. Also my tank is cycled, it went 2 months cycling and did great with the diamond goby and fire shrimp. This just happened when I added my seahorse. My questions are:
1) How long until this mini cycle is over? I did a 30% water change yesterday but it seems as if that didn’t help.
2) Are these water parameters going to hurt my seahorse, even though I added prime?
3) Should I do a larger water change strictly cleaning leftover food and poop on the sand?
4) Do water changes stress out the seahorse?
5) Do I keep feeding my seahorse three times a day or would this make my water parameters worse?
Please help I really do not want anything to happen to my seahorse!’