You are here
Ocean Rider Location & Facilities
The Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm and Tours is located on the "Big Island" of Hawaii on the Kona Coast.
Physical Address - For the Seahorse Farm & Tours:
73-4388 Ilikai Place • Kona (The Big Island), Hawaii
See Map Location »
73-4460 Queen Kaahumanu Hwy. Suite 118
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii 96740 USA
- Tour Ticket Orders By Phone: 808-329-6840.
- Tour Ticket Orders By Text: 808-443-6462.
- Purchase Tour Tickets Online
Using a GPS? Our location is 19.723010N and 156-056460 W . The Seahorse Farm is located at 73-4388 Ilikai Place within the Natural Energy Lab. Turn onto to Makako Drive (otherwise known as the OTEC road) from Queen Kaahumanu Hwy (Hwy 19) and follow the road to Ilikai Place. We are down by the ocean on the North side. There are small seahorse signs to guide you to our farm.
Directions To Ocean Rider From the Kona International Airport
- From the Kona International Airport, go south and take your first right towards the ocean onto Kahilhili Street, then go right onto Makako Bay Drive. Continue on this road about 1.5 miles, then turn left towards the ocean onto Ilikai Place. We are on the right hand side along the ocean front. Please arrive 20 minutes early and give yourself an extra 10 minutes of drive time to accommodate for unexpected delays due to the highway construction. There are small seahorse signs on Makako Bay Drive but they are small due to sign law restrictions imposed by the county. If you get lost just call us or check the websites seahorse.
Directions To Ocean Rider From Town
- From town, head towards the Kona International Airport and turn left at the traffic light at Kahilihili Street following the signs to the Ocean Technology Park. This light is the turn before the airport. Follow the directions above. There are small seahorse signs on Makako Bay Drive but they are small due to sign law restrictions imposed by the county. If you get lost just call us or check the websites seahorse.com We recommend google maps.
Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm Tours
- This is a guided tour that is personable, highly educational, interactive and fun! You will actually be able to touch and feed the seahorses! The Tour lasts about 60 minutes so please wear good walking shoes and a hat!
- Since we are a working seahorse farm we are usually very busy taking care of the seahorses in the mornings. Tour times are Mon - Fri at 10AM, 12PM and 2PM except for low season (May and September) when there is only one tour per day which is at Noon and mid season when there are 2 tours per day at Noon and 2PM ( October and November). Tickets can be purchased at the gate or on line at seahorse.com. Please call for current rates and times. Reservations are preferred but walk ins are usually accepted.
- If you would like to schedule a private tour for contributing to saving endangered reef species please call 808.329.6840
Other activities that are close by include the Kaloko-Honokohau National Historic Park, and a walk along Ka hu Mo Olio Beach (seahorse farm beach) right in front of the seahorse farm. A good place for lunch while waiting for your tour is the Pine Trees Cafe. [ Hawaii Facts ]
The 'Big Island' is also well known for it's pristine ocean, with amazing visibility (100'+) and spectacular diving and snorkeling. Manta ray dives, snorkeling and surfing are just some of the activities you can enjoy 365 days a year.
Ocean Rider Farms Visitor Center - Now Open Purchase adult, child and private tour tickets.
Learn all about the exotic and mysterious seahorse! Visitors will be able to see, touch, and feed farm raised Ocean Rider seahorses and many other marvels from the the sea!