About Gigantes Seahorse: This tropical Pacific giant species is majestic, colorful and exotic. The wild population once extended from Equatorial Galapagos Islands to Mexico and even as far north as San Diego during El Nino years.
Scientific Name: Hippocampus Ingens
This Pacific sea horse is on the brink of extinction and is no longer found in most of its natural home range. Ocean Rider would like to acknowledge the efforts of Scripps Aquarium in San Diego, CA and the National Aquarium in Baltimore, MD for their successful sea horse conservation and breeding programs for this threatened species.
Feeding: Recommended feeding regime for Ocean Rider ® sea horses – is 2 to 7 frozen mysis shrimp (depending on size) from Piscine Energetics enriched with Ocean Rider Vibrance every morning and evening.
This is a nutritionally complete diet that our sea horses love and is easy to use. It will ensure long term survivability, high health, brilliant colors and a happy pet!
Live Iron Horse feeds can be fed during the acclimation process and then occasionally as a fun treat (once a month is plenty).
Acclimation and Care Procedures For Gigantes Seahorses
Check that Basic Water Quality Parameters are Within an Acceptable Range
- Temperature: 68F – 82F (Optimum temperature 75 – 78F)
- Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0
- Nitrates 1-10 ppm
- PH 8.2 – 8.4
- Specific gravity 1.022 – 1.025
Acclimate your seahorses slowly, but do not take more than 30 minutes to complete the procedure.
Open your box away from any bright lights. Check temperature and PH upon arrival in both the shipping water and in the tank.
Turn off aquarium lights and follow this procedure:
- Float the bag in your tank for about 10 minutes to equalize temperatures.
- Partially open the bag and add 1 cup of tank water. (Do NOT aerate the shipping bag during acclimation)
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of water and add another cup of water from the tank.
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure again.
- Gently use your hand to transfer the seahorses into the tank, discarding the water left in the bag.
Buy Ocean Rider Gigante Seahorses
Feeding and Care Procedures
- Read: How to Use a Seahorse Feeding Station
- Recommended: Seahorse Feeding Regime