To All Tour Guests and Visitors: Ocean Rider of Kona is an actual farm where we raise seahorses and other marine life (livestock). Because this is a farm, you will discover that the environment at Ocean Rider is less like the traditional aquarium experience you may have experienced or anticipated.
Here at Ocean Rider, the habitats of the animals are unique and require special conditions for living, procreating, care and where possible, for public display.
Please Read The Entire Page
- The conditions of the farm for visitors are safe, but may not be suitable for all.
- At times along the tour, the terrain is gravely, rocky, wet and inclined, or combinations of all. The space between tanks may be narrow. At times you may need to step over a pipe or up onto a stool.
- Visitors should wear rubber-soled shoes. Slippers or sneakers are the best. There are chairs to sit down but you should be able to walk for at least 5 minutes.
- All guests must wear shoes. No swimsuits allowed.
- Weather conditions – temperatures vary but can become hot and humid. Although very rare, occasionally it does rain. The tour is mostly in the shade or under roof but you will be in the direct sun for about 10 minutes. The aquarium room is air-conditioned. Hats and sunglasses are recommended.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult and must be 6 years or older in order to hold a seahorse.
- Running and horseplay are not permitted.
- The tours generally last 60 minutes.
- For the health of the seahorses (livestock) and since we allow the holding of seahorse(s), visitors are prohibited from entering the seahorse farm if they have visited any other aqua farm on the same day.
- The seahorse is a very delicate animal and an endangered species on the edge of extinction, so please follow the holding instructions carefully. All children must be accompanied by an adult and must be 6 years or older in order to hold a seahorse.
- Keep cameras 4 feet away from the seahorse with the flash off. Please be quiet and still in the holding area as seahorses are sensitive to movement and sound.
- Ocean Rider personnel have sole discretion over if, when, and how to hold the seahorse(s). It is critical that the person holding the seahorse is very still when their hands are in the water. If you cannot be still or make the shape of the coral reef basket in the way that we require, you will not be able to hold a seahorse. Sorry there are no exceptions as we need to keep our seahorses safe from injury or stress. All visitors must follow the instruction of Ocean Rider personnel.
- Cameras are allowed in certain areas with the flash off. Please no texting, gaming or talking on cell phones during the tour.
- You will be asked to read our security briefing, wash up to your elbows and pass your shoes through a disinfectant bath before entering the farm. You are required to purchase a ticket, and you must be accompanied by our naturalist to enter the farm.
- Tour price and availability, as well as access to certain exhibits, are subject to change without notice due to limited availability of seahorse holding capacity on tours, and seahorse breeding behaviors and production activity. We highly recommend purchasing your tour in advance to guarantee your price and your spot on the tour.
- Regrettably, We Can Not Offer Refunds. We do offer vouchers or gift shop credit if you are not able to make your tour.
Ocean Rider Seahorse Farms
Safety for Guests and the Seahorses
Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm tours are led by naturalists with special training in ocean conservation and the culture and husbandry of seahorses. They are the caretakers for over 20,000 seahorses.
Due to strict, bio-security protocol you must be on a scheduled tour to see the sea horses.
When you purchase your ticket online your reservations and tickets will be held at the gift shop tour desk check-in. Please bring your confirmation email in case we can’t find your reservation. Please arrive 15 minutes early to check in, wash up, receive your tour briefing, get your name tag and sign your paperwork. Please learn how to turn your flash off on your camera and remember to keep your camera at least 4 feet away from the seahorses.
Tour times are subject to change depending on the time of year and the seahorse breeding and production activity on the farm. We will contact you ahead of time if this occurs.
Remember, your contribution from your purchase of tour tickets and gift shop items stays here at the Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm to support the continued research, education, conservation and propagation of the all exotic species of endangered seahorses and sea dragons.
If you would like to get involved in our Foundation projects, you can make a tax-deductible contribution when you visit the farm in person, or online at seahorsehawaii.org. The seahorses and sea dragons of the world thank you!