To All Tour Guests and Visitors: Ocean Rider of Kona is an actual farm where we raise seahorses and other marine life (livestock). Because this is a farm, you will discover that the environment at Ocean Rider is less like the traditional aquarium experience you may have experienced or anticipated.
Here at Ocean Rider, the habitats of the animals are unique and require special conditions for living, procreating, care and where possible, for public display.
Please Read The Entire Page
- The conditions of the farm for visitors are safe, but may not be suitable for all.
- At times along the tour, the terrain is gravely, rocky, wet and inclined, or combinations of all. The space between tanks may be narrow. At times you may need to step over a pipe or up onto a stool.
- Visitors should wear rubber-soled shoes. Slippers or Good ‘ole sneakers are the best. There are chairs to sit down but you should be able to walk for at least 5 minutes.
- Weather conditions – temperatures vary but can become “hot and humid”. Although very rare, occasionally it does rain. The tour is mostly in the shade or under roof but you will be in the direct sun for about 10 minutes. The aquarium room is air-conditioned. Hats and sunglasses are recommended.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult and must be 5 years and older in order to hold a seahorse.
- Running and horseplay are not permitted.
- The tours generally last 60 minutes.
- For the health of the seahorses (livestock) and since we allow the holding of seahorse(s), visitors are prohibited from entering the seahorse farm if they have visited any other aqua farm on the same day.
- Ocean Rider personnel have sole discretion over if, when and how to hold the seahorse(s). It is critical that the person holding the seahorse is very still when their hands are in the water. If you cannot be still or make the shape of the coral reef basket in the way that we require you will not be able to hold a seahorse. Sorry, no exception as we need to keep the seahorses safe from injury or stress. All visitors must follow the instruction of Ocean Rider personnel.
- Cameras are allowed in certain areas with the flash off. Please no texting, gaming or talking on the cell phone during the tour.
- You will be asked to read our security briefing, wash up to your elbows and pass you shoes through is disinfectant bath before entering the farm. You are required to purchase a ticket and you must be accompanied by our naturalist to enter the farm.
- Tour price and availability, as well as access to certain exhibits, are subject to change without notice due to limited availability of seahorse holding capacity on tours, and seahorse breeding behaviors and production activity. We highly recommend booking your tour time and prepaying in advance to guarantee your price and your spot on the tour.
- Regrettably, We Can Not Offer Refunds
Ocean Rider Seahorse Farms
Safety for Guests and the Seahorses – Tours are Lead by Professional, Certified Biologists
Tour guides are employed at Ocean Rider with credentials that include: minimum of Bachelor Degree in Biology, special hands-on training in the culture and husbandry of seahorses, special training in environmental biology and marine conservation, and special training in public speaking. In other words, your tour guide is well educated, knowledgeable and fun!
Due to strict, bio-security protocol you must be on a scheduled tour to see the sea horses.
When you purchase your ticket online you will hold your reservations and tickets for you at the gift shop tour desk check-in. All you will need is your ID at check-in time. Please arrive 15 minutes early to check in, wash up, receive your tour briefing, get your name tag and sign your credit card receipt. Please learn on to turn your flash off on your camera and remember to keep your camera at least 2 feet away from the sea horses.
Tickets purchased online will be held at the Gift Shop Tour Desk. ID must be presented.
Please note in the comments section your preferred tour time. Tour times are Monday through Friday only. Tour times are subject to change depending on the time of year and the seahorse breeding and production activity on the farm.
Remember your contribution from your purchase of tour tickets and gift shop items stays here, on the Ocean Rider Seahorse farm to support the continued research, education, conservation and propagation of the all exotic species of endangered seahorses and sea dragons.
If you would like to do get involved in our Foundation projects, you can by visiting the seahorse farm in person or online at seahorsehawaii.org where you can make a tax-deductible contribution. The seahorse and sea dragons of the world thank you!!