Scientific Name: Hippocampus Erectus
Like the wild mustangs of the American West, these horses are one of a kind. They are bold, gregarious, social, hearty, healthy and very easy to feed Vibrance® enriched frozen mysis shrimp. They have a broad chest full of deep lines and original colors from rusty red to rusty black, green, beige and even white with white diamonds, lines and dots. Spikes are common. Very stunning! Unlike anything you have ever seen or ever will. Colors vary with mood and environment. Hitch them to the color you want them to become.
- Medium mustangs are about 4 inches long.
- Large mustangs are 4-6 inches long.
Acclimation and Care Procedures For Mustang Seahorses
Check that Basic Water Quality Parameters are Within an Acceptable Range
- Temperature: 68F – 82F (Optimum temperature 75 – 78F)
- Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0
- Nitrates 1-10 ppm
- PH 8.2 – 8.4
- Specific gravity 1.022 – 1.025
Acclimate your seahorses slowly, but do not take more than 30 minutes to complete the procedure.
Open your box away from any bright lights. Check temperature and PH upon arrival in both the shipping water and in the tank.
Turn off aquarium lights and follow this procedure:
- Float the bag in your tank for about 10 minutes to equalize temperatures.
- Partially open the bag and add 1 cup of tank water. (Do NOT aerate the shipping bag during acclimation)
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of water and add another cup of water from the tank.
- Wait 10 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure again.
- Gently use your hand to transfer the seahorses into the tank, discarding the water left in the bag.
Feeding and Care Procedures
Recommended feeding regime for Ocean Rider ® sea horses – is 2 to 7 frozen mysis shrimp (depending on size) from Piscine Energetics or any other good qaulity brand enriched with Ocean Rider Vibrance every morning and evening with one fast day per week.
This is a nutritionally complete diet that our sea horses love and is easy to use. It will ensure long term survivability, high health, brilliant colors and a happy pet!
Live Iron Horse feeds can be fed during the acclimation process and then occasionally as a fun treat (once a month is plenty).