Feed Ezy Frozen Mysis

Seahorse Club
Aquarium & Livestock

Feed Ezy Frozen Mysis

Seahorse Club
Aquarium & Livestock

Feed Ezy Frozen Mysis

55 hex

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    desa2590
    Participant

So my question is I upgraded to a 55 hex and I’d like to know how many wave makers I’d want to get and what you recommend for the hang off the back filter I plan on doing sand in the bottom and live rock for most of the filtration second put the wave makers in the middle of the tank for placement or where should I put them and how many sea horses will be a good fit for that size aquarium I’m trying to keep the set up as simple as possible

Pete Giwojna

Dear Desa:

Yes, with a tall vertically oriented aquarium like your 55-gallon hexagonal tank, it is very important to establish good water circulation from the top of the tank to the bottom in order to assure that there is good oxygenation and aeration throughout the aquarium.

Using a wave maker is a good thought, but such devices are most effective when used with rectangular horizontally oriented aquariums and are less well suited for a hex tank.

In your case, Desa, you might be better off installing a small power at the top of the tank that is positioned so that it directs a water current diagonally downwards from the top of the tank to the bottom of the aquarium on the opposite side. That would serve to establish a good circular water flow from the top to the bottom of the aquarium more efficiently and inexpensively than a wave maker for a hexagonal tank like yours.

As far as the stocking density is concerned, your 55-gallon hex tank can safely accommodate a whole herd of hardy captive-bred-and-raised seahorses, Desa. But it’s always best to keep your aquarium under stocked in order to provide a comfortable margin for error, especially if you’re new to seahorse keeping.

I recommend starting out with one pair of ponies and then gradually increasing your herd, rather than adding multiple pairs of ponies at one time. Having too many new specimens at once can overtax the biological filtration temporarily, resulting in transitory spikes in the ammonia and/or nitrite levels that could be detrimental to the seahorses and other aquarium inhabitants.

But over time, a 55-gallon hex tank can safely accommodate several pairs of adult seahorses and still retain a comfortable margin for error. Just build up your herd gradually, one pair at a time, for best results, and everything should go just fine.

Be sure to contact me whenever you have any more questions or concerns, Desa.

Let me know when your biological filtration is fully established in the tank is there a chance to mature and stabilize, so that you are ready to order your first seahorses.

Best of luck with the final preparations for your 55-gallon hexagonal aquarium, Desa!

Happy Trails!
    Pete Giwojna, Ocean Rider Tech Support

desa2590
    Participant

So my next question would be I have live sand and live rock what else other that a power head do I need ? Like a bio wheel ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

America's Only Seahorse Aqua-Farm and One of Hawaii's Most Popular Attractions

Ocean Rider seahorse farm is a consistent Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence Award Winner and "Top 10 Things To Do" Kona, Hawaii attraction. Our "Magical Seahorse Tours" are educational and fun for the whole family.

Tour tickets are available for Purchase On-Line. Space is limited and subject to availability.

small seahorse Ocean Rider, Inc. is an Organic Hawaiian-Based Seahorse Aqua-Farm & Aquarium that Follows Strict Good Farming Practices in Raising Seahorses and Other Aquatic Life.

Seahorse Hawaii Foundation

Inspiring ocean awareness by saving the endangered seahorse and sea dragons around the world from extinction through conservation, research, propagation, and education.

Help us save the seahorse and the coral reefs they live in with a tax deductible contribution to the Seahorse Hawaii Foundation. You will be helping to protect and propagate over 25 species of endangered seahorses, sea dragons and friends.

Make A Tax-Deductible Donation Today!

A Different Kind of Farm (Video) »

Ocean Rider Kona Hawaii

Ocean Rider Kona Hawaii
Seahorse Aqua-Farm & Tours

73-4388 Ilikai Place

Kailua Kona, Hawaii 96740

Map & Directions

808-329-6840

Contact Ocean Rider

Copyright ©1999-2023
All Rights Reserved | Ocean Rider Inc.