Feed Ezy Frozen Mysis

Seahorse Club
Aquarium & Livestock

Feed Ezy Frozen Mysis

Seahorse Club
Aquarium & Livestock

Feed Ezy Frozen Mysis

75 babies still going strong

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 16 years ago by Pete Giwojna.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lisa Aiea

:woohoo: Dear Pete,
    I\’m just giving you the latest update. Yesterday my baby Sunbursts were two weeks old. I haven\’t had any die this week and I still have approx. 75. I know that as I wean them to frozen, I\’ll probably lose many and I am realistic enough to know that a whole bowl of them could crash at any minute. (I have two bowls going, one with 30+ and one with 40+) The majority of them are at least an inch and are really dark. I have two little ones that I keep seeing, but they eat well and are plenty strong enough to wiggle out of the hold of a tail that latches on to them. I have been reading about how to make the transition to frozen food. Yesterday I actually offered some frozen cyclopeze (sp?) and a few ate some. Most of the others gave me the \"thanks anyway look\". I\’m going to see if my store will orden in some of the mini myses by H20 Life. When I get some of that, I\’ll offer some with every meal. In the mean time, I love reading all the information you send out to everyone. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Aloha, Lisa

Pete Giwojna

Dear Lisa:

Woohoo! That’s very impressive that you haven’t had any losses among your 75 newborn Sunbursts in the first two weeks! That’s exciting because the high-risk pelagic phase for the Hippocampus erectus fry should soon be nearing an end, and has probably already passed for many of the youngsters. Giving the newborns more time to develop and getting them off to a good head start as a result of the males prolonged pregnancy certainly seems to be paying off in terms of increased survivorship. Keep up the good work!

That’s very encouraging that some of the two-week olds are already shown an interest in frozen foods such as Cyclop-eze. That puts them well ahead of schedule in that regard and bodes well for their future. Just be extra diligent about siphoning up any of the uneaten leftover Cyclop-eze from the nurseries and maintaining optimal water quality while they are sampling the frozen fare. Once you get the juveniles through the difficult transition period when they are being weaned off live prey and onto frozen foods, the chances of raising them to maturity are much improved. It will be very interesting to see what color is your Sunbursts fry assume as they grow and develop.

Best of luck raising those precocious small fry of yours, Lisa!

Happy Trails!
    Pete Giwojna

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

America's Only Seahorse Aqua-Farm and One of Hawaii's Most Popular Attractions

Ocean Rider seahorse farm is a consistent Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence Award Winner and "Top 10 Things To Do" Kona, Hawaii attraction. Our "Magical Seahorse Tours" are educational and fun for the whole family.

Tour tickets are available for Purchase On-Line. Space is limited and subject to availability.

small seahorse Ocean Rider, Inc. is an Organic Hawaiian-Based Seahorse Aqua-Farm & Aquarium that Follows Strict Good Farming Practices in Raising Seahorses and Other Aquatic Life.

Seahorse Hawaii Foundation

Inspiring ocean awareness by saving the endangered seahorse and sea dragons around the world from extinction through conservation, research, propagation, and education.

Help us save the seahorse and the coral reefs they live in with a tax deductible contribution to the Seahorse Hawaii Foundation. You will be helping to protect and propagate over 25 species of endangered seahorses, sea dragons and friends.

Make A Tax-Deductible Donation Today!

A Different Kind of Farm (Video) »

Ocean Rider Kona Hawaii

Ocean Rider Kona Hawaii
Seahorse Aqua-Farm & Tours

73-4388 Ilikai Place

Kailua Kona, Hawaii 96740

Map & Directions

808-329-6840

Contact Ocean Rider

Copyright ©1999-2023
All Rights Reserved | Ocean Rider Inc.