We corresponded a few weeks ago about my male seahorse with two small bubbles near the tip of his tail. I’m pleased to report that the bubbles are now gone. I didn’t have to try Diamox…the only significant change I made after the problem appeared was to add a bubble trap to the output of my Bak Pak protein skimmer. This completely eliminated visible bubbles in the 55 gallon tank.
Of course, this doesn’t prove that the bubbles in the water caused the problem. It took a couple of weeks for the tail bubbles to disappear, and they might have done so even if I hadn’t put the bubble trap on. Correlation doesn’t equal causation; the GBD may be self-limited, and just ran its course. The only way to learn more would be to take the trap off and see if the problem returns, but I’m not going to try that!
The other problem I reported – scratching on objects in the tank – is also considerably better. I wonder if the seahorses were annoyed by external bubbles adhering to their skin. Anyway, my philosophy now is to only use a protein skimmer on a seahorse tank if it puts NO visible bubbles into the water.